How to determine the IP Address
What are some ways of determine the IP Address of my computer?
There is no standard way to determine the iP address of a computer that works for all operating systems and versions. However, you can usually view all information about your TCP/IP configuration by running some sort of configuration program. Here are some of the most common ways for the most common operating systems.
- Go to Start\Programs\Command Prompt. This will bring you to the MS-DOS window.
- At the prompt, type "ipconfig". You will see your IP address and other TCP/IP configuration information.
Windows 8 / Windows 10
- Go to Cortana, type in "cmd", then when Cortana shows you "Command Prompt" click on that.
- Type in "ipconfig" and hit the Enter key.
- Look for a line that says "IPv4 Address". The 4 part number at the end is what you are looking for.
From a command line, enter "ifconfig". This stands for interface configuration. This works on most UNIX or Linux systems.
Consult your documentation, or contact your system administrator.