Printing to an HP 5 causes SPOOL32 error
When I print through RPM to an HP LaserJet 5 printer, I get a Spool32.exe error message and I am forced to reboot the computer. After rebooting, I continue to receive the same error. Is there something that can be done?
The HP LaserJet 5 print driver causes this issue, but this can be fixed in RPM. First, verify that you have installed the HP LaserJet 5 print driver from the Windows CD-ROM and not from a CD or diskette that shipped with the printer.
If you are using the driver from HP, delete the printer from the Windows Printers folder. Then, add a new printer using the driver provided on the Windows CD-ROM.
Finally, you must append a form-feed or a line-feed to the end of the data.
- Choose "Edit Queues" from the "Queues" menu in RPM.
- Press the "Print Data Options" button.
- In the "Append" tab, choose "Append Bytes".
- Press the "Edit Bytes" button, then the FF or LF buttons.
- Press OK on the "Edit Bytes" dialog, then "Apply" and "OK" on the "Print Data Options" dialog, and finally, the "OK" button on the "Edit Queues" dialog.
- Test the new configuration to verify that the problem is fixed.
Note: This problem may be evident in other print drivers that use the same PCL language as the HP 5.
 The FF button adds a form feed, the LF button adds a line feed. If you add a form feed, a blank page may print out after each document.