Setting Up Remote Printer on HP9000
How do I set up a remote printer on an HP9000 UNIX system or an HP-UX System V 10.x system?
We strongly recommend that you configure your remote printer using the System Administration Manager (SAM). Configuring printers manually on an HP9000 is difficult to do correctly. To install a printer using SAM, follow these steps:
- Log in as superuser/root, and launch SAM.
- Open LP Spooler, then Printers and Plotters.
- From the pulldown menus, choose Actions.
- Choose Add Remote Printer/Plotter from the Actions menu. Do not choose Add Network-Based Printer/Plotter. There are several fields for adding information about the printer:
- Printer Name -- is the name you give to the printer queue on the HP 9000 running SAM.
- Remote System Name -- is the name or IP address of the remote PC that is running the RPM Remote Print Manager® software. If you use the PC's name, it must be in the HP 9000's hosts file or configured on the Domain Name Server (DNS).
- Remote Printer Name -- This name should match the Queue Name already setup in the RPM software.
- Check the Remote Printer is on a BSD System checkbox.
- Fill in the optional fields as desired.
- Click OK to finish the configuration.
- Exit SAM.
Permissions Note: Make sure that you have the correct permissions to print from the UNIX host. Check to see that the username is added to the UNIX host file that lists its users (for example, hosts.equiv or hosts.lpd).