Protecting your privacy is important to us. We hope the following statement will help you understand how Brooks Internet Software, Inc. collects, uses, and safeguards the personal information you provide to us.
Information we collect online
As a commercial enterprise, we have interest in two broad categories of information:
1. How you came to our site
- Web search, which keywords were used
- Link from a partner site
- Link from an online directory
- URL included in a print advertisement
This information is used offline for analysis. We do not rank or grade visitors or prevent access based on the way they come to our site.
2. If you download a trial version of products
We want to contact you for a follow-up. The information we collect is whatever you enter in the form on the download page plus the following:
- The site on which the download form is found, that is, either a partner site or our site
- The information captured in #1 (if any) based on your IP address
The following are some common site features that we do not provide:
- We do not currently offer a chat area or bulletin board; we may in the future for technical support
The only information we collect that you do not voluntarily provide is explained in #1 above.
We offer a "login" facility in our online shopping area so users can enter their contact, shipping, and billing information once. This login is protected by a username and password. If the user provides an email address, our site will email the username and password to that email address. Once the user has "logged in," he or she can download products without filling in the form, view the status on recent online orders, and place online orders without re-entering billing and shipping information.
We do not use this information for our own marketing purposes. It is only provided as a convenience to the online shopper. Credit card data is not stored with the login account information.
All data associated with a credit card transaction is encrypted and sent via secure transaction to Verisign. The encrypted data is also stored in an electronic vault in our network. Credit card data is never saved or stored with session data, and is only stored on machines without access from outside our network.
In those instances where the credit card number is retained as part of the order record, only the last four digits are preserved in plain text form. Access to the original credit card information is restricted and will not be shared with third parties, except as required by the credit card agreements or legal authorities.
In order to prevent unauthorized access and inappropriate use both inside and outside the company, we protect all data (including but not limited to credit card data) by physical and electronic methods and managerial procedures.
How information is used or shared
As stated in the section "Information we collect online," we collect two categories of information: data that helps us understand how you came to our site (if available) and data you provide at the time of download, either on our site or a partner site.
How is the information used?
Let's call the information categories origin and download.
Origin information is stored in a database, indexed by the hostname or IP address of your client machine.
Download information is combined with origin information (if any) in our Customer Relation Management system (CRM) for tracking, follow-up, and analysis.
How is the information shared?
Origin information is not shared.
Download information is selectively shared in some instances. The criteria we use to determine whether to forward this information to a partner are as follows:
- in certain regions outside the United States, where we have an established partner with a long history of trust and confidentiality, and satisfactory customer relations, and
- where language and/or time zone differences make it inconvenient for the customer to have timely interaction from us during their normal business hours, we typically forward the download information.
Please note that we do not sell leads, and that we only provide leads to those who can service the customer more effectively than we can.
Your information and marketing
- Since we don't sell or market your information, no choices in that regard are necessary.
- We would like to contact you regarding the software you downloaded. You may choose not to provide information we can use for follow up; in that case you won't hear from us and we won't forward the information to a partner (if applicable).
- If you ask us not to contact you in the future, we won't.
- If we contact you and you don't reply after several attempts, we will not persist.
Questions about your information
You may direct any inquires regarding the information we have collected, including changes or a request to be removed, to the sales representative who contacted you after you downloaded, or via email to Sales.
We do not have a guaranteed completion time for information requests. Please allow one complete business day before you contact us for confirmation, if you have not heard from us.
How your information is protected
- Origin information is contained in a database for which we have not provided a Web interface, or any interface available outside our corporate network.
- Download and lead information is stored in our CRM system. We have not enabled mobile or offsite access to this system. Only client applications installed on selected machines can access this information. Access is further protected by role, that is, the position and responsibility in the company determines what information you can see.
Updates to this privacy statement
This privacy statement, and future revisions to the statement, are the result of discussions and consensus among Brooks Internet Software's management and other interested parties in the company.
Changes will appear in a new version of the document, posted online and available through links on our web site.