Q: Printer Device needed, AS/400. Application requires print job to be sent to a printer rather than a queue.
A: Some applications on the AS/400 require a printer device to send the spool file to instead of a queue. To accomplish this IBM recommends the followings steps and parameters for the remote outq keywords. When a printer device is created an outq is also created with the same name as the device.
- Use the CRTDEVPRT command and prompt the command.
- In the Description parameter give the device the same name as the remote outq.
- In the Class parameter use *VRT
- In the Type parameter use *IBM3812 if this is a laser printer.
- In the Model parameter use 1 if this is a laser printer.
- In the Font Identification parameter use 011 on all printers.
- Use the defaults on the rest of the keywords.
- Set the Destination options to XAIX and XAUTOQ in the outq and change the other keywords to represent a remote outq.
If you are using a dot matrix printer the Type parameter can be *IBM4214 with a Model 2 or *IBM5219 with a model D1.