Q: The AS/400 application asks for a device to print to rather than a remote OUTQ.
A: Some applications on the AS/400 require a printer device to send the spool file to instead of a queue. To accomplish this IBM recommends the followings steps:
- At the AS/400 command prompt, issue the command CRTDEVPRT, then press F4.
- In the Description parameter, name the device.
- In the Class parameter use *VRT.
- If you have a laser printer, use *IBM3812 for the "Manufacturer" parameter and 1 for the "Model" parameter; for dot matrix printers use either *IBM4214 Model 2 or *IBM5219 model D1.
- In the Font Identification parameter use 11 for all printers.
- Use the defaults on the rest of the keywords.
Now, modify the OUTQ, which was automatically created by CRTDEVPRT. It should be the same name as the device.
- End the writer. Issue the command 'ENDWTR name *IMMED', without the quotes. Wait 15 seconds for the writer to end.
- At the AS/400 command prompt, issue the command CHGOUTQ "device_name". "device_name" should be the Description parameter you entered in step 2 above.
- Input the appropriate parameters for the remote OUTQ. The following table lists the important parameters.
- Writers to autostart: 1
- Connection type: *IP
- Destination type: *OTHER
- Transform SCS to ASCII: *YES
- Destination options: 'XAIX XAUTOQ'
- Operator controlled: *YES
- Data queue: *NONE
- Authority to check: *DTAAUT
Your AS/400 application can send print files to the device, and RPM Remote Print Manager® should get them shortly after that.
Note: Create the device before the OUTQ, because the AS/400 will automatically create an OUTQ with the appropriate links from the device to the OUTQ.