How do I use broadcast printing?
I want to utilize the broadcast printing feature in INTELLIscribe®. What are the requirements and how do you configure the Virtual Printer Port?
The requirements are simple:
- Install the software on a Windows-based system.
- Your printers must be attached directly to the network and have TCP/IP support. Or, if you have a software LPD print server such as our RPM Remote Print Manager®, the printer can be attached to the computer where the software is installed.
- Each printer needs to be the same model, or understand a common printer language such as PCL or PostScript.
Then, you need to create a virtual printer port following these instructions.
- In the INTELLIscribe window, choose Add from the Port menu. The Virtual Printer Port Wizard begins. Review the introduction page and click Next to begin
- This step requires you to enter a name to associate with the port, the name can contain spaces. Also, you are required to choose how the destinations will be used; Choose broadcast and click Next.
- Enter each destination that you need to print to, providing the TCP/IP Address or hostname of the printer, the protocol, and a port number. Once all the destinations are entered, click Next to continue.
- Customize protocol specific attributes. When using the LPR/LPD protocol, the Queue Name is a required parameter. Some printers require specific queue names. Consult your documentation, or check our website for the correct LPD queue name.
- Finally, open the Windows Printers folder and install a new printer. When you are prompted to select a port where the printer is attached, select the port you named in step 2.