Configure Tandem OS for RPM printing
My RPM Remote Print Manager® will not receive jobs from the Tandem operating system on the mainframe. Can I configure RPM to receive jobs from a Tandem OS?
We have researched the Tandem operating system and found that the old OS versions do not support the LPR/LPD protocol natively.
There are 3rd-party LPR spoolers available, and RPM can receive jobs fine using their "raw" printing. Configure the Tandem systems as follows:
Create a file in $SYSTEM.SYSTEM called FASTCNFG with the following information.
!****** CONFIGURE TCP/IP DIRECT FOR RPM Software ****** Device $LPRT1 CONTYPE =TCP/IP ADDRESS =192.168.1.50 (RPM host IP Address) PROTOCOL =NONE PORT =9100 (Telnet port setup in RPM)
Now, configure RPM to receive jobs using the Telnet protocol on port 9100. Note that this port number can be any TCP/IP port number you choose. Some port numbers are reserved for other protocol such as 21 for FTP and 23 for regular Telnet.
- In the RPM UI, select "Options/Protocols:".
- In the Protocol type drop-down list, select "Telnet".
- In the TCP/IP port, type "9100", and click Add. Make sure that you do not add telnet using port 515 or this will cause a problem with RPM.
- Choose the queue that will receive jobs from the Tandem.
- Click OK, Then OK again on the Server Protocols dialog.
- Choose Yes to restart server protocols.
- Create a device name in Tandem using "SPOOLCOM".
- In your "FASTCNFG" file, create an entry similar to the above entry, using "LPD1179" in "PROTOCOL" in place of "NONE".
- Do not enter "PORT", or configure it to port 515, since this is the proper LPR/LPD port number.